Saturday, August 15, 2020

Possessed- The Warning- (Story)- 10

 

I managed to move my neck and saw Uncle John standing. I realized that I was holding my breath for too long. I allowed air to go inside me and asked, ‘What are you doing here?’

‘That is a question I should be asking you.’

‘We were searching clues about Ashley,’ interrupted Catherine.

‘That is a job we are getting paid,’ said Uncle John calmly.

‘But apparently you’re not doing your job,’ Catherine was frustrated.

‘Who told you this? I am wandering in this forest for past few days just for clues,’ he explained. ‘It’s true we hid the story but that was to avoid panic in the town.’

Catherine was shocked. ‘Did you find anything?’ asked Catherine hopefully.

‘We haven’t but we will. I’ve called a special team tomorrow,’ he told. ‘I assure you if I find something I’ll personally come to you.’  

It was never easy to persuade Catherine but Uncle John was doing it great. She had no words left to argue so she nodded.

Uncle John brought us out and dropped Catherine at her house. As soon as she left he scolded, ‘What were you doing in that forest with that girl?’

‘I was helping her to find clues?’

‘But why?’ ‘And why did you go near the forest. I’ve told you so many times to stay away from that place. What is wrong with you? Tell me you were never like this.’

‘That murder has scared me.’

‘You’ve no reason to worry. You’re totally safe. Nothing will happen to you. You will be last person someone thinks of killing.’

I nodded silently. No one talked until we reached home. As soon as we entered I saw Mrs. Baker. She was tensed and was waiting for me.

‘Where have you been?’

‘He was with me. I think staying with his uncle is not a problem,’ Uncle John helped me from a big explanation.

‘He should not stay out for so long.’

‘Don’t be so restrictive. He is a grown up boy.’

‘Whatever,’ she rolled her eyes. ‘Eat something and sleep. You have your appointment for tomorrow evening.’

I moved my lips saying ‘Thank you’ to Uncle John and ran in the kitchen.

                                                                        ***

The night was uneasy. I continuously had nightmares about killing Rodrigo. He was playing with my mind.

I climbed down and saw Uncle John leaving. I ran up to him and said, ‘Can you please drop me to school? I forgot my bicycle near the forest last evening.’

 We reached school and I climbed down the car.

‘Stay away from that girl,’ warned Uncle Rodrigo. ‘Just stay away from her it’s too dangerous.’

Before I could react he closed the door and drove away. Why did he say that? Did Catherine know something that she was hiding from me? I had to find out…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Darkness

DARKNESS  The wind is cold I'm here all alone, There are secrets that the night hold A little boy made up of flesh and bone. A single ca...